The Parque del Buen Retiro (Park of the Pleasant Retreat) is located in the heart of the city of Madrid. It has an area of 118 hectares. It was originally a Normandy style castle that the King Felipe II built to his wife, MarÃa de Inglaterra.
In 1631, the residence became a beautiful park, when the Conde Duque de Olivares (Count of Olivares and Duke of SanlÃºcar) ordered the construction of the Palacio del Buen Retiro (Palace of the Pleasant Retreat).
In times of Fernando VII, it became a public park, and in 1869, it was handed over to the City Council of Madrid as Park of the capital city. It has an area of 118 hectares and is surrounded by an artistic grille that is opened by more than twelve monumental doors. Among them we should highlight the door of the Plaza de la Independencia, HernaniÂ´ s door, the one of the Paseo de Coches and PaterreÂ´ s.
The park has several sculptures and buildings that are distributed along the precincts. In the Northern corner of the park, we can find the ruins of the Church of St Isidoro, the Romanesque chapel from the XII Century that was transported from Ãvila to Madrid. Other highlighted monuments are the Ãngel CaÃdo (Fallen Angel), the equestrian statues of Alfonso XII and the General MartÃnez Campos, the Crystal Palace and the VelÃ¡zquez Palace, among others.
1 October to 30 April: From 6:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
1 May to 30 September: From 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.