The Royal Palace of La Magdalena is situated in the peninsula of the same name. It was built in order to provide accommodation for the king Alfonso XIII and his family, who regularly stayed in it until the proclamation of the Second Republic, as summer residence.
The style of this palace is difficult to define due to it has Neoclassic elements reflected in the distribution of the outer elements, the abundance of chimneys, the windowsÂ´ form, etc., and French elements such as the curving staircase of the main stairs, the asymmetry of the bodies of the building, and it also has a touch from the Santander region. It is surrounded by beautiful gardens and is a comfortable place to enjoy the coast and go for a walk accompanied by the marine breeze.
During the Republic, the palace became the headquarters of the International University MenÃ©ndez Pelayo that was created in 1932.
It has two entrances, one in the North used for carriages, with portico, and another one in the South, which is the main one, with two octagonal towers and a curving staircase. The building has been built using masonry stone covered with slate. It was completely reformed in 1993 by Luis de la Fuente.
Among all the students and foreign and Spanish lecturers that have come here, we should highlight: Pedro Salinas, GarcÃa Lorca, MaraÃ±Ã³n, Ortega y Gasset, Unamuno, AmÃ©rico Castro, etc.
June to September: From 9:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m.
October to May: From 9:00 a.m. to 8:30 p.m.