This square was built due to the Spanish-American Exposition in 1929. It was inaugurated by His Majesty the King Alfonso XIII.
It has a Renaissance style mixed with typical elements of the city. It is a semicircular square (200 meters of diameter) decorated with exposed brick, marble and ceramics that give a Renaissance and Barroque touch to its towers.
A series of benches and ornaments based on glazed tiles create a space referring to the 48 Spanish provinces. Maps of the provinces, mosaics about historical moments and the coat of arms of the capital city of the province are represented in these spaces.
The square is surrounded by a channel crossed by 4 bridges that represent the 4 old Spanish kingdoms. The Plaza de Espa├▒a symbolizes the hug that Spain gives to the old colonies and it is oriented to the river symbolizing the way to America.
Today, this square consists of Government buildings such the delegation of the Central Government of Andalusia.