It is the oldest church in Bilbao. It was built in 1379 and is dedicated to Patron Saint of the city. It is located in the old part of the town.
It has a Latin cross plan, with three naves, separated by cylindrical pillars against which several columns are leaned. It is covered by rib vaults.
Its presbytery is polygonal and is surrounded by a nave with ambulatory. It has a beautiful Gothic cloister and two porticoes. After a fire, in 1571, a monumental Renaissance portico was added, as well as the current Neogothic façade and the tower that were built in the XIX Century by Severiano Achucarro, as well as the major altarpiece.
Inside, we can see the sculpture of the Cristo del Buen Amor by Guiot De Beaugrant from 1533 and the beautiful Classicist Pietà from the XVII Century by Aloitiz, as well as a series of stone sepulchres spread all over the church. The monstrance is real jewel treasure by Mariano Garín.
Built: XIV-XIX Century
Style: Gothic, Neogothic, Renaissance
Address and telephone
Tickets and prices
If you see any mistakes or want to add anything to this information, please contact us.